Thursday, October 14, 2010

Nyah ....my sweet little niece...

After 3 days of early labor and 1 full long day of active labor we were all very very excited for the birth of my second niece: Nyah! She was born October 13th, at 2:13am, and was 7lb 13oz. As not just a midwife but as her sister it was such an incredible blessing to be a part of my sisters first baby's birth.

The first call came Saturday morning at7am...we were in the U.P. for the weekend and I was praying that she wouldn't go into labor until after we came home on Sunday...yet...the call came Saturday morning. After waiting for a few hours...I was happy to inform her that I was quite sure that she truly was in labor. Little did we know what we all had in front of us!!! After making the decision to leave to head down to the lower peninsula and go home so that I could help her we realized that you had to pay to cross the bridge. After praying that the Lord would hold off until we could get there, we decided to spend some wonderful time in worship and nature and then cross the bridge right after sundown. We had the most beautiful sundown worship at the bridge to close the Sabbath and homeward bound we were. After I got there her contractions were about 10-15 apart and I knew we had a long long way to go so I went home to sleep (home is only 7-10 min from her place.) The next day everything was the same...she went in to get checked and was not dilated at all...so on "we" labored.

Monday night as I was on my knees praying beside my bed she called and told me her contractions were 2 min apart and she wanted me to come check her...so I threw some clothes on, gathered my supplies and over I went. To all of our disappointment she was only 2cm. So...on we labored...around 2am her contractions got really close again and she was now 3cm and being a home-birth midwife and not knowing when to normally take someone in, I thought we should take her in. Back to the hospital we went. After another 1.5 hours in triage and them confirming she was 3cm, they suggested she go back home since she wasn't wanting any interventions. Home we went...again!

Up all night long...we were all tired!!! After getting some wonderful counsel from one of my best Midwife counselors I happily gave her some herbs to help her sleep so she could relax...and boy did I ever pray that she'd dilate! Praise the Lord...all she needed was SLEEP!!! After about an hour or more of sleep her contractions picked up really good and fast and she was on her way. The next time I checked her she was 5cm! Were we ever happy. A few hours later she was 6cm...yea!!! You could feel the happiness and excitement! After needing another period of rest I gave her some more herbs and after a little rest they picked up again and before we knew it she was leaking fluid (nice and clear) and she was 8-9cm. Well...maybe it was time to go in????? ;)

We got in for the dreaded triage and I looked at the nurse and informed her that my sister was 8-9cm and there went triage, we got ourselves a nice room :) 4 hours later, a whole lot of support, position changes, and perseverance and my adorable little niece was born! The Lord really led, and am I grateful for His help and leading. (the "short" version ;) ) It was such an incredible blessing to be part of this for my sister. She had a midwifery labor and wonderful natural hospital birth.

Keep checking for more pictures...her Auntie LOVES taking pictures of her!





1 comment: